Palm Beach Gardens CARES
Palm Beach Gardens CARES-
Mortgage and Rent Assistance Program
Have you suffered a loss of employment or other financial hardship because of COVID-19? Are you having trouble making your rent or mortgage payments as a result of lost wages?
The City of Palm Beach Gardens is accepting applications for its Mortgage and Rent Assistance Program, designed to provide mortgage and rent assistance to low-to-moderate income families that were directly impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic with funds provided through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. Funding is available on a first eligible, first served basis to qualifying Palm Beach Gardens residents.
The purpose of the Mortgage and Rent Assistance Program is to stem evictions and foreclosures, and to keep low-and moderate-income (LMI) Palm Beach Gardens residents stably housed. The activity will benefit low-and moderate-income individuals and families by providing short-term rent and mortgage payments for no more than six months of consecutive payments. Payments will be made directly to landlords and mortgage companies in all cases.
Please see the application link at the bottom of this page.
Current Annual Household Income Limits
Persons in Household
West Palm Beach-Boca Raton, FL HUD Metro FMR Area 2022, subject to change annually
- Applicants must be a resident in the City of Palm Beach Gardens. To verify that you reside with the City limits, click here: Palm Beach Gardens City Limits.
- The household income cannot exceed the limits above based on household size.
- The liquid assets of all household members may not exceed $15,000.
Liquid assets include cash on hand, cash held in savings and checking accounts, investments such as money market accounts, mutual funds, stocks, and bonds. Liquid assets do not include retirement accounts or education accounts such as a 529 Plan.
- The applicant must document that at least one household member has suffered an economic hardship (e.g. income loss or reduction in wages, job loss furloughed, etc.) due to COVID-19.
- The applicant or landlord must not be receiving subsidies from any other federal, state, or local program for the unit in which the applicant resides. Such assistance includes, but is not limited to Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher or Tenant-Based Rental Assistance.
- The applicant may not receive duplicative benefits and must disclose any other federal, state, or local funds that have been received or applied for related to housing assistance that may duplicate the assistance being requested.
- No conflict of interest can exist. All applicants will be required to sign a conflict of interest form. Conflict of interest exists when the following occurs:
- The applicant is or is related to a current City of Palm Beach Gardens official, employee, board member, commissioner, agent and/or other representative of the City or with whom they are a business associate.
- The applicant must provide all required documents and satisfy program requirements.
The following requirements apply to the rent and mortgage assistance program. Supporting documentation must be uploaded in the 'Documents' tab. Applications must be complete for review. Submittal of an application is not a guarantee of assistance.
- All households must submit a complete application form, including the required income and asset information for each household member. If a paper application is needed, please contact Joann Skaria at (561) 799-4261 or email@example.com.
- All household members must submit proof of identity. Upload at least one of the following for each household member:
- Driver's License or Photo ID
- Social Security Card
- If divorced, a copy of the divorce decree or certified court document
- If separated, proof of separate residence
- If widowed, a copy of the death certificate
- For dependents, submit birth certificate, school records with parents' names and addresses, court-ordered letters of guardianship, divorce decree, or letters of adoption. All dependents must be listed on the federal tax return of the applicant.
- Full-time high School or college students over the age of 18 years must provide a letter from the Registrar confirming full time enrollment. This does not apply to the Head of Household or co-head.
- All household members must submit proof of citizenship or legal residency. Upload at least one of the following for each household member:
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- Naturalization Papers
- Alien Registration Card
- All household members must submit two (2) months proof of income, including non-employment income of minors, 17 years of age and younger. This includes:
- Complete pay stubs showing gross income before taxes, tips, and other income
- Bank statements for the last 6 months for accounts and all household members
- Child support
- Social Security/SSI award letter
- Unemployment benefits
- Rental Income
- Death benefits
Those who cannot provide documentation of income must submit a signed Non-Employment Affidavit, located in the 'Documents' tab of the ZoomGrants Application.
- All household members must submit proof of assets including:
- Retirement accounts - 401k, IRA, annuities
- Pension funds
- Whole life insurance policy
- Stocks and bonds
- Equity in real property (other than the principal residence)
- Other (e.g. CDs, mutual funds, investment accounts)
- Income Tax Documentation. Provide copies of the two (2) most recent years of signed income tax returns (1040, 1098, all schedules) including W2 forms and 1099 statements. In the event the tax document is missing in part or in whole, a transcript or certified copy may be requested from the IRS.
- Self-Employed applicants must provide documentation to show the difference of income before and after being financially impacted by COVID-19. All self employment applicants must provide a year-to-date profit and loss statement and last four (4) quarterly tax payment documents.
- Rental Assistance applicants must submit a copy of their current, executed lease agreement under the applicant's or co-applicant's name and past due notices from the landlord or property manager and/or an eviction notice.
- Mortgage Assistance applicants must submit a copy of their mortgage statement(s) for the month(s) assistance is being requested and provide a copy of the homestead exemption certificate.
- Utility Assistance applicants must submit most recent statement from utility provider showing amount needed. The program pays for basic utilities including water, electric, and gas.
- Households must show they have been directly financially impacted by COVID-19. Each household member impacted by COVID must submit proof of a hardship to demonstrate the financial impact from COVID (e.g.job loss, reduction of hours, etc.). Documentation can include a termination letter, unemployment benefit letter, furloughed letter, letter from employer of reduced hours, or check stubs pre- and post-COVID showing loss of income)
- Duplication of Benefits. Participation under this program cannot receive a duplication of benefits. Applicants will be required to sign an affidavit that assistance has not or will not have a duplication of benefit for the funds requested from any other program for the same purpose or expense and agree to repay the City if duplication does occur.
* The City reserves the right to request additional documentation to determine eligibility.