To qualify to become a Firefighter/EMT with Palm Beach Gardens Fire Rescue, you must have the below minimum qualifications:
- High School diploma or equivalent, and
- State of Florida Firefighter II Certification, State of Florida Emergency Medical Technician (EMT),and/or State of Florida Paramedic, and
- Valid Florida State Driver's License. Required to meet all the requirements in the Florida State Statute Number 633.34, "Firefighter; Qualifications for employment", and
- Proof of successful completion of physical agility testing (CPAT Candidate Physical Ability Test) by a State-certified fire training center within the last year, and
- Must possess and maintain valid Basic Life Support (CPR) cards from American Red Cross or American Heart Association at the Health Care Provider level, and
- Must have documentation attesting to successful completion of a 16 hour Emergency Vehicle Operator Course (EVOC), and
- Must be eligible to work in the United States .
And the following special qualifications/preferences:
- Have not been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or control substances in the preceding 36 month period in Florida or any other state.
- Have not had a Driver's License suspended under the point system in the past 36 months, as provided for in the Florida Statute, Chapter 322.
- Have not been convicted of 3 moving violations in the preceding 24 month period in Florida or any other state.
- All required certifications listed above and any other certifications, which may be required by the State of Florida or the City of Palm Beach Gardens maintained throughout term of employment to retain this classification.
- All new hires shall comply with Florida State Statute 633.34(6) regarding tobacco products and during their term of employment shall remain tobacco free.
- Must be able to meet Departmental physical standards.
- Must successfully pass the City of Palm Beach Gardens Fire Rescue Department swim test within one year of appointment.