The top reason for traumatic injuries in the elderly are due to falls. Employing some of the following tips can help reduce your risk of a serious injury.
- Clean up clutter around your house,
- Remove tripping hazards such as loose carpet, rugs, items on the ground, and wires.
- Install handrails for bathtubs or showers.
- Make the shower and bathtub have a non-slip surface.
- Make sure lighting is adequate in all rooms.
- Wear shoes, not socks, around the house.
- Move carefully when transitioning from laying to standing.